Museum the New Llano Colony

C.S. "Daddy" Thomas


Family Information:  

Description: In 1932 it was reported that the colony had two very fine "Dad" Thomas'. C.S. Thomas was apparently "Little Dad" - he worked in the planing mill and cabinet shop. Levi C. Thomas was apparently considered to be "Big Dad" -- the column said that Big Dad had joined in Fresno and been a stalwart ever since. He kept the cemetery in nice shape.  

Pre-Colony History:  

Home in Colony:  

Job in Colony: In October 1930 he was part of the crew at the planing mill that included Cleve Campbell, Kittle, Szpila, Rand, Rickey, Thomas and Parsons.

In January 1931 he was doing cabinet work along with Briggs, Kittle and Parsons.

In 1931 he was making a baker's shover -- for drawing bread tins out of the hot oven when the bread is baked. In 1932 he and Parsons were busy on cabinet work at the planing mill. In March he fixed up a screen sifter for Peter Kemp at the grain grinding mill and in July he was building some little tables.

In February 1934 he was a member of the Sunday Volunteer Gang including: Bill Heath, Charles Brown, Rob Roe, Walter Gaulke, Dad Thomas, Ernest Prodon, Bert Busick, Roscoe Busick, Gossett, Jack Carnahan, Ed Hiatt John Calgarry, Tom Cunningham, Phillips, Real Baril, Nick Lentz, Ed Mansfield, Septer Baldwin, F.W. Fay and F.S. Hammond. They spent the day cutting some eight hundred feet of cypress lumber into two-inch planks, twenty inches wide and as clear as a hound's tooth to be used for shingles.

In 1936 was in charge of the orchard and had completed the pruning of the grape vines and about to begin on the youngberries. 

Other Info: In 1936 he had a visit from his sister, Miss Lucy Thomas, a school teacher from Roswell, New Mexico.

In May 1937 Doc Williams took Bondell Jensen, her son Earl Banta and "Daddy" Thomas to the Shreveport Hospital -- Earl to see a doctor about an injury to his eye and Daddy because his vision had been getting worse. They arrived around 10 and as usual, the hospital was very busy and it required considerable time before the two patients were seen. Finally they were examined and told to wait. Around noon, Daddy, who had to have a slight operation was told to stay over and taken to a ward and so they completely lost sight of him. Earl was eventually taken to a ward on the third floor and put in a white robe. He didn't fancy that very much, as he didn't want to go to bed in the daytime. At 4 pm the Dr. finally came around and looked Earl over, deciding that there was no need for an operation. He had nothing but a scar on his eyeball and adding another would only make matters worse. Mrs. Jensen was very relieved and Earl was immediately ready to return home.  

Post-Colony History:  


Sources: Llano Colonist: October 25, 1930, January 3, 1931, November 21, 1931, January 16, 1932, February 20, 1932, March 5, 1932, July 2, 1932, February 3, 1934, February 29, 1936, June 20, 1936, May 8, 1937  


Contact Us:


Copyright 2018 Museum of the New Llano Colony